OK. So it’s now really and truly over. Stick a barbecue fork in it. Summer has given way to sensible haircuts, budget-rattling investments in school supplies, and stowing your white cocktail attire (a style rule that some insist on defying). As we watch the last of our kids trudge off to the classroom, we’re thinking of some of our favorite summer exploits:
- Co-founder Doug French traveled to Thailand to learn how The Exodus Road works to free victims of human trafficking. You can read his first post here, and he’ll be writing more about his experience over the next couple of weeks.
- The MenCare Campaign and Promundo released the State Of America’s Fathers, a necessary and exhaustive follow-up to its State of the World’s Fathers report in 2015.
- The National Retail Foundation estimated that total retail spending for Father’s Day reached a record $14.3 billion.
- Community manager Whit Honea told some really bad dad jokes on TBS.
- The team gathered at the Hyatt Regency La Jolla for our first official site visit, and we’re already way too delighted about the opportunities this huge, outdoorsy venue will afford us.
- Co-founder John Pacini hobnobbed with YouTube superstars at VidCon and spent an intimate, family-centric evening with Tom Hanks (with whom, it must be noted, one must never travel).
- Our ticket sales for Dad 2.017 reached 90% capacity in record time.
And that was just June!
Now that autumn leaves are on the way, here’s a bullet list of bullety things to wedge away somewhere in your brainbox:
- Our Call for Speakers and Ideas will be live right here on Monday, September 12! Whether you’re building a parent-centric online business, or just trying to learn everything you can about being a better dad, the experience has carried us into myriad new directions over the past year. We’re ready to hear what you have to say about it.
- Our bi-weekly newsletter went out today! (And it looked an awful lot like this blog post!)
- Our next one, on September 21, will present an in-depth look at our impressions, newsletter clicks, and demographic data that will highlight why our community engagement is so very strong, and why speaking with us elevates whatever platform(s) you’re building.
- We’ll also take a preliminary look at the 2017 conference schedule and outline this year’s procedures and deadlines for Miller Grants.
- If you want the latest news delivered to you every other Wednesday, add your email address to that blue subscription stripe at the top of this page!
We’ll see you back here in a couple days for Fatherhood On Friday!