The new year begins with a provocative title for provocative times. We discuss some of the myriad responses to our 2020 recap, the great art that offset our less-than-great moments, and the themes we’ll continue to revisit often in 2021 (paid leave, gender equality, family advocacy, prioritizing home life, etc.) as summed up nicely by our Instagram Top Nine. Plus: Can vintage sneakers heal the world?
(And for the record, the title merely refers to podcast advertising and the addictive use of social media. But just the same, you should probably avoid Googling it.)
- The Social Dilemma, streaming on Netflix
- The Sorcerer’s Apprentice, from Fantasia
- This Year, by The Mountain Goats
- Wax up your board, and start goofy-footin’!
- How to set up your Quarantine Pod
- Harry Kane gives off a lot of “old-dude energy“
- Tenth of December, by George Saunders
- Maggie Brown & Others, by Peter Orner
- Wikipedia page for The Incredible Mr. Limpet
- Subscribe to One Story
- Our Fatherhood on Friday about Daddy, How Do I?
- Our podcast interview with Amy and Margaret of the What Fresh Hell podcast
- We wish you Dynamic Insertion for 2021.