What do Madonna, Michelangelo, and Michael Stipe have in common? We compare them all with James Breakwell, who built his writing career by workshopping material on Twitter. In his fifth book, How To Be A Man (Whatever That Means), the man behind Xploding Unicorn‘s attempts to determine what manhood is by declaring and dismissing all the things it isn’t.
We talk about his writing process, making revisions at 3x speed, how his newsletter has built a solid audience for his book sales, and the burst of pride you feel when your pig makes the police blotter.
- Follow James on Facebook and Instagram
- Highlights of James’s ThreeNote at Dad 2.018 in New Orleans
- The full Unicorn bibliography
- Laura Fuentes, who spoke about the importance of newsletters at Dad 2.018
- The viral Buzzfeed piece by Mike Spohr that “ignited everything”
- James’s column at the Indianapolis Star
- When James’s pig made the police blotter
- Shop for your very own silicone wedding ring
- The “daughter effect” on marriage
- A sample text-to-audio app